Saturday, March 7, 2009

Personal Experience

Last year in MUS 190, my professor used an audience response system similar to that of Qwizdom. This system was called CPS or Classroom Performance System, which is a product of eInstruction (Webside: http://einstruction.com/). This programs works just as that of Qwizdom. Before this course, I had never had the opportunity to use this type of system. After buying the clicker, we had to go online to register and activate our account so our clicker would respond and collect data. Throughout the semester, my professor mainly used the clicker to keep track of attendance, but also awarded points for correct answers. After the results were in, we would discuss the answers and why they were correct for those who didn’t get the answer correct. I feel that this helped keep me focused in class and kept me alert because I wasn’t sure when he would ask a question. It also helped to revisit information each day because it gave me a chance to quiz my understanding of the topic and discover which areas I needed to still study. I think using the response system was a suitable method for class because it didn’t waste much time and was a good way to get all the students involved which could be hard otherwise in a lecture type setting. Overall, I was pleased with using the clickers and feel that more teachers should take this approach in their classrooms to monitor student’s progress and keep students engaged in the material.
The clicker used in my class.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your blog about Qwizdom! I didn't realize there was such a device available for general use. I, of course, have witnessed the use of a similar device on America's Funniest Home Videos for the audience to "lock in their vote" for their favorite video. I think it is great that your instructor used this device in class. There seems to be great possibilities for practical application.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I wrote this articles I wasn't even considering all the game shows that use similar systems for their audiences. Great connection! Hopefully someday we will all get a chance to experience this system as a way to improve our classrooms.

    ReplyDelete